Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Iced!

Sorry for not posting yesterday. It was kind of a full night! Pete and I couldn't bear to do the grocery shopping on Sunday, so that meant we'd have to drag our sorry behinds to the store yesterday. It ended up being just my sorry behind, though, because Pete's hurt foot was in bad shape. I told him to stay home and take a load off--which to him meant "clean the refrigerator."

I got back and we made a late late dinner, and then I had to edit a paper for my brother because I hadn't done it Sunday (there were a lot of things put off on Sunday, but in all fairness, I was sick). By the time that was done, it was getting late and I didn't have time to squeeze in a post.

But, despite going to bed late, I woke up bright dark and early to go running. I'm in the second week of Couch-to-5k and so far, so good. It's cold as balls when I start with my warm-up walk, but by the end I've got my mittens off and I'm feeling pretty good. And today I got to spend the last ten minutes of my run among falling snowflakes. I kind of liked catching a snowfall that most people didn't get to see today. Except me. And the high school kids walking to the bus stop. And the rude 60-something couple that never ever wave back when I greet them on my runs. Grumpers.

So after my run, it became apparent that we were in for more precipitation. The radio people were trumpeting a "nasty" storm involving "snow, then freezing rain, then ice pellets, then ice pellets, then snow." I spent the whole day at work craning my neck to look out the window sort of near my cube. Finally, at 1pm it started to snow. I decided to duck out early and work from home in the afternoon to avoid the 1.5-hour 5pm commute that seemed inevitable. And then I got home and it stayed bone dry until about 4:30. So I kind of looked like a dope. Thanks, radio friends.

Buuuut then the weather picked up and now we're enjoying the soft pitter patter of "ice pellets and ice pellets"...

...which, as Pete discovered just a bit ago, froze up the drain in our driveway, almost flooded our garage, and sent a roaring river across our side yard, culminating in a huge black lake right next to our neighbor's house. Pete chipped away at the drain and bailed out the garage, later describing the moment as "like something out of Titanic." That man sure references that movie a lot. After he told me about the river, I had to get pictures...

The icy river, from our deck

Street view--the snow had covered up the black lake by the time I got down there


Pete having a Jack Dawson moment
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...